All original photos belong to Melissa Hamersma Sievers, Sieversma Photography. Linked images as reference will be cited.

Prints of many of these images are for sale.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Homemade Lens

I read www.diyphotography.net fairly regularly. It contains all things homemade or hacked for your camera, including lenses. I've ripped the lens off of a toy camera and attached it to my Canon 40D with some success. Many other photographers modify their camera similarily.

I stumbled across someone who had used the lens from a disposable camera. Many people have done this, here is one example.

So this was my project for the day. I used one canon body cap, one altoid tin for fun and one lens from a kodak disposable camera.




The intial version today had the lens extended about an inch away from the tin bottom. I could focus the image if I moved the 'lens' about three finger widths away from the subject.





So, I decided to put it back as you see it above. That extends the distance to about four finger widths.





I tweaked the color and lighting a little bit on the above eye photo. I didn't sharpen it any further.

I'm pretty pleased with my homemade lens effort with built in lens cap. I had to reglue everything because intially the altoid tin was crooked to the camera, that bugged me. Also, the tin opened up if it was on right side up. I found that it worked better if the lens opened down. It wouldn't keep shutting on itself as I tried to make a photo. Though the other down side to this set up, you have to be so close to the subject that it is difficult to use a flash. If you keep the altoid tin right side up, the lid can be used to bounce the light.

It's your call!

All of this and I only shocked myself once when I picked up the ripped apart camera - battery still connected. If you use a flash camera, please disconnect the battery immediately when you rip into yours.

1 comment: