All original photos belong to Melissa Hamersma Sievers, Sieversma Photography. Linked images as reference will be cited.

Prints of many of these images are for sale.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019

USD Annual Wacipi

Each spring USD hosts a Wacipi to celebrate native American culture in South Dakota. Dancers, drum groups and singers from around the country arrive to participate. I've been a part of the Vermillion community for nearly two decades and hadn't attended the event.
This year my oldest and I had a little time to visit. I wanted him to take it in as well. We were able to watch the grand entry on Sunday afternoon. Kiddo selected a seat up in the stands. He was overwhelmed by the drums, but thought it was interesting and made friends with guests nearby. Around us were competitors preparing for the event.
A few were making final adjustments to costumes. The focus on the face of a person doing beadwork is intense, what a skill!! Every dress was so beautiful, ornate and completely unique.
I would have enjoyed walking around a bit more, but enjoyed taking everything in from our perch and observing all generations in attendance. Kids are heavily involved in the event, but enjoy technology in their downtime too!
I will work to attend again next year for longer. Next time I hope to be present for the community meal. In the meantime, I will happily continue to attend the frybread taco sales held by the USD Tiospaye group. It is the fundraiser that helps support this event each year.

No comments:

Post a Comment