All original photos belong to Melissa Hamersma Sievers, Sieversma Photography. Linked images as reference will be cited.

Prints of many of these images are for sale.

Friday, May 20, 2016

President Clinton visits Sioux Falls

South Dakota seldom hosts presidential visits, or even candidates passing through. Party nominations are typically determined by the time our June primary comes around. Our state was the last for President Obama to visit during his term. Unfortunately, I couldn't attend the Bernie Sanders event last week due to work obligations. I was pleased when I realized that I could attend the event in Sioux Falls featuring President Bill Clinton as he campaigns for Hillary. News reports say approximately 350 people attended this work day gathering. My uncle and I got to the line an hour before the doors opened and visited with others waiting outside. We were able to get a position fairly near the railing and had a better view than any concert that I've attended.
We spent a lot of time waiting, a band was on hand to entertain the crowd. A rally isn't a rally until a cover of Journey's 'Don't Stop Believing' is performed. This group turned it up a notch with a fiddle performance.
State Representative Paula Hawks addressed the audience.
And former U.S. Representative Stephanie Herseth-Sandlin welcomed President Clinton back to South Dakota. While she has stepped away from the political scene a bit, she can still warm the crowd.
I had brought along a long lens in case I was farther back. I didn't end up NEEDING it to get a shot, but I'm glad that I had it along. I have a couple images where President Clinton is biting his lip. It's one of the quintessential mannerisms that impressionists depend on when they 'play' Bill Clinton. I was pleased to have captured it. Check out my Instagram feed for a few other images, my user name is Sieversma Regardless of who you support, please make sure to vote in the South Dakota primaries on June 7. Both parties have their own ballot, but you have to register with one or the other. We are a closed primary state, independents have to align themselves one way or the other. If you have the opportunity to attend an event of this nature, I would encourage you to do so! Listen to the report by South Dakota Public Broadcasting and President Clinton's speech in its entirety online. Also, you should check out the three visits that Bernie Sanders made in South Dakota last week. Full coverage of those events are also available online at SDPB. Be sure to explore the conversation shared by other news organizations as well. I look forward to watching, reading and listening to news clips from the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment