All original photos belong to Melissa Hamersma Sievers, Sieversma Photography. Linked images as reference will be cited.

Prints of many of these images are for sale.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Fun with Holga

Photobucket

I had come across photographs used with a Holga camera a few years ago. I purchased two from Bhphoto.com. I thought I could keep one as is and eventually make modifications to the second. I have yet to take photographs with the cameras themselves. I have been using a holga lens on my DSLR camera.

Others have hacked a holga to create a lens for their DSLR cameras. Here's a tutorial. Here's the approach that I took when I made my lens.

I've been experimenting a bit. The point isn't to create a perfect image - that isn't really possible. You can't adjust focus and you can't adjust the aperture. Just mounting it to my DSLR gives me two controls that I wouldn't have otherwise: shutter speed and an adjustable ISO setting. I haven't figured out the sweet spot for focal distance. I'm sure that there's a mathematical formula that I could use. But, I actually prefer to guess.

Photobucket

It doesn't really work to take photos of things far away. For instance, geese flying away from you aren't ideal subjects, though they are fun.

Photobucket

I'll keep working with this for awhile, I think. It's something different. Sometimes the image seems 'artsy' sometimes it just looks like a poor photo. I don't have one that I want to enlarge yet.

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment